Thinking about hiring a graphic design firm? If so, you probably already know that there are tons of freelance designers and design firms for you to choose from and not all of these design companies are the same. If you choose the wrong design company, you could end up wasting your money; worst off, causing damage to your brand.
How can you be certain that the logo design and graphic design company you choose is right for your needs? These are the most important traits to look for in your design company.
- Experience—WARNING: The design industry is plagued with newbie freelancers and inexperienced companies that simply don’t know what they’re doing. In the last year art schools have been graduating ANYONE that can open Photoshop, but not true artistic talent. You want to make sure the graphic design firm or freelancer you hire has proper experience handling all types of design work. You need a company with a proven track record of delivering quality designs in a timely manner. Experienced companies will be likelier to take a professional approach than a new design firm. Of course, the more experience, the more they can charge.
- Familiarity with your industry—If you’re a legal firm, find a design firm that knows how to give a “professional services” look & feel. It’s important that your design firm actually understands your company and knows the challenges you face building a presence in your industry. The best design company will have worked within your industry in the past, so they’ll have an idea of what type of designs work best with reaching your target audience. Ask the all-important question: have you done work in my industry, and if so, show me.
- Complete branding services—In addition to offering design work, it’s also important that your design firm offers complementary services like web design, banner design, print design, and more. Designing your website is totally different than designing your brochures, but a design firm needs to have the capacity for both. This way, you don’t have to hire a bunch of different companies to handle all of your design needs. Everything will come from under one roof, so you get a more consistent branding and marketing campaign.
- Good listening skills— Can your design firm be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger? Design is a cooperative process. It’s important that the graphic design firm you choose actually listens to you more than talks to you. You want them to pay attention to your needs, understand your goals, and incorporate your feedback into the final design they create. Too many design companies get angry too quickly, talk to much, ignore clients and act independently, leaving clients unsatisfied.
- A strong portfolio—Before you hire any graphic design firm, you need to see examples of their work. The best design companies will be happy to show you samples of logos, websites, print ads, etc. that they have created in the past. If a design firm can’t show you a portfolio of their work, don’t do business with them.
Choosing the right graphic design firm doesn’t have to be a headache. Just make sure you choose a design company that has all of these traits, and you’ll be sure to choose the right service provider.